Friday, April 16, 2010

Pantless in Cincinnati

Friday April 16

I have been in the neurology ward at the University of Cincinnati since Monday night. Most of that time I have been bed bound, but yesterday I was able to get out and into wheelchair for a while.

My brother Jim came down from Norwalk to visit. It was great to see him. I was worried about having company, but I think we both really enjoyed having spending time with each other.

Today I will be getting my second plasmapheresis treatment. Plasmapheresis is when they take the blood out of my body, separate the blood from the plasma by centrifuge and return the blood. It’s a long process; it takes about 2 hours to complete. My first treatment totally wiped me out. I don’t remember the rest of the day.

The doctors planned to give made five of these treatments. I need to wait at least 24 hours between each treatment to allow my body to replace the plasma that was removed. The doctor pointed out that there’s no way of telling this early if I’m responding to treatment. There are other options for me if this isn’t going to work. We will reevaluate on Monday. Maybe I will be stronger and even able to roll over on my own again (or sit up or put on pants…)

If the aphaeresis works, then I will go to an in-patient rehab facility. There is a very good one affiliated with UHC that works with neuromuscular rehabilitation.

3 comments:

  1. Mike,

    Praying that this will work for you. I can't even imagine how frustrating it would be to have my life as I know it totally wiped out. Keep plugging along and trusting in God. I am in SC but if you need any moral support I am on facebook and gmail.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike. Just wanted to let you know that we're all thinking of you and hoping you have a VERY speedy recovery. Sending you positive thoughts and hugs!!! Your friend, Lauryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jennifer and Lauryn, good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete