Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Best show I ever saw

July 4, 2006. We had left our jobs and home in Vermont, sold everything we could and drove to Oxford, Ohio to start the next phase of our life. We bought a cute little house on Jacqueline Drive, a short distance from the campus of Miami University. This was so Adrienne could be close to her classes and office as she began working on her PhD in Gerontology. One of the biggest reasons I love Adrienne is her ability to make a plan and see it through. Getting a PhD was a goal she had set for herself over a quarter of a century ago and at last, she was ready to start.

She also wanted me to come with her. Since I can't make a plan beyond what I am going to eat next, I just said, "Sure."

That fall, at the Tall Stacks Festival on Cincinnati's river front, we went to see The Blind Boys of Alabama. The Blind Boys are the real deal-they began singing gospel music together before Word War II and have performed all over the world. HBO used their version of Tom Wait's song "Down in the Hole" as the theme song to the show "The Wire" for the first 2 seasons. I am proud to say that I am a fan. I did not expect that going to see them in concert would be a life changing event.

The show amazingly high energy. With their harsh as nails voices, they sang many of my favorite songs. The Blind Boys have worked with some of my favorite artists and totally embrace contemporary, secular artists. They didn't sing any secular songs though.These guys, some of them in the 90's, rocked with fire and fury that had to be seen to be believed. At one point, Jimmy Carter, founding member, singing gospel since 1939, actually left the stage and ran into the audience (of course, lead by his guides). He praised God for bringing him to Cincinnati to sing about the Lord, and then he told the audience, "Once God opens a door for you, nothing in the universe can stop you from going through it!" and he was there as proof for us to see how amazing God is.

At the hospital, getting ready form my 7th IVIg treatment, I was surrounded by a group of nurses who were praying for me. They came up before my treatment started and asked if I minded them praying with me. As we were praying, I remembered Jimmy Carter, standing out there on the lawn, praising God.

Candy, one of the nurses who prayed with me, reminded me that life if a journey with twists and turns and this was just a bump on my journey. It wouldn't last forever.

Our pastor was just here and his parting words to us were to remember the words "Right Now." As in, "right now is a good moment." or "I can't do this right now."

Every time you have called me or sent me some scripture to read or told me you are praying for me, you have given me one of these moments, "Right now, I am not alone."

5 comments:

  1. My Love you are never alone. God is always with you and I have the privilege to be with you too. Know that you are loved and in case you were wondering "by who or by what?" You are loved by me, by our family, by our friends, by our pets and most of all by God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrienne is the best!
    So you have made me remember some of my most dark times. One thing that happens to me is that I am unable to pray for myself--its a type of spiritual/emotional paralysis of sorts. I have had to learn to rely on others to pray for me ---ask for something, which has always been hard for me to do.
    I have often thought of the story in the New Test. where the paralytic wants to see Jesus so his friends lift him up, down through the roof, and to where Jesus is. That's the picture I have of the role my friends have and continue to play for me.
    It's a privilege to be one who is carrying you to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky,

    Thank you for reminding me of that beautiful story. I had forgotten it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike, Im so sorry about all of this. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete