Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday

Warm weather is here! I've been trying to get outside as much as possible to enjoy the sunshine. Adrienne and I went to one of my favorite places the other day, the local coffee shop. It was great to sit outside and watch the people walk up and down the street. I hope to get back there soon.

I had my first physical therapy session doing exercises yesterday . The therapist said we need to improve my strength before going on to work on my balance. I worked hard yesterday and I am very sore today. But it is the good kind of sore, like after a work out. Unfortunately, it has also made it more difficult for me to move around.

I started to take a walk this morning, but barely made it past the edge of the driveway before I had to turn back. While standing there, watching the birds fly up and down the street, I remembered something Jesus had said; "Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they?" Mathew 6:26. Thank you, Lord.

I was raised in a religious home and had always felt that faith was part of my life. But when I left home to got o school, I began to feel that my faith limited me. Eventually, there came a time when I decided that my faith was holding me back and making me unhappy. To be honest, at that point in my life, I was more interested in worldly things. One angry morning, I decided that it would be better for me if I cast the religious part of my life away and applied my attention on the here and now.

I was very bitter and self destructive. My life didn't go well and I became angrier. For many years, I was certain that there was no loving God. God was a tool created by other men to control more men by making us feel inadequate and lost.

I started going to church with Adrienne and the kids when we were dating. I liked the church she was going to in Putney, Vermont. Maybe I missed church and God. I know that it felt good to sing the songs of praise again and to hear the Bible being read. It was also good to find fellowship with other people. It there that I heard God speak to me. At last, I was ready to listen to him.

It was during an Easter service. As the pastor spoke about Jesus and His resurrection, we all chanted, "He is Risen." Through all my turmoil, His voice promised to be with me, reminding me that He was caring for me. Every time I said those three words, I felt His presence growing. Not only was Jesus alive, but He was with me and in me. He promised to take care of me and never to leave me alone, if I let Him. And now, 15 years later, He has kept that promise every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment