Thursday, July 14, 2011

Georgia-Land

We have made it to Statesboro after visiting with my sister in Kentucky and then a long and gorgeous drive into the South.  I still feel pretty disoriented, but it is getting better.  Little things like getting a library card, Internet access and meeting my new neurologist, Dr. Patel (another transplant, I think) help.



Everything I do here is filtered through the lens of how things used to be in Ohio.  My consultation with him was very different from an appointment with Dr. Boughaba, the neurologist I saw at UC.  They have very different ways of interacting with patients; Dr. B. was much more personable; inquiring about my life outside of my illness and its symptoms.  She knew Adrienne  and wanted to be kept up-to-date on her progress through school and job hunt.  She also kept after us for updates on Mercedes (Mercedes impressed her by always standing to greet her when she entered the room, saying "Hello, Dr. Boughaba."), I was a little miffed that Dr. Patel explained the difference between GBS and CIDP more than once, especially since I had already  made that explanation to his nurse.  But then I remembered, he is a neurologist and I am being unfair because he is not Dr. Boughaba.

Dr. Patel spend a year studying CIDP, so I am confident that he already has an excellent understanding of my illness.  But I think I am the only one of his patients he is treating for it.

Our stuff arrived and appears to be unscratched.  Adrienne and our friends in Oxford did an excellent job packing and loading the truck.  Yesterday, with the help of two guys she hired, she and Alex unloaded it.  Now our tiny condo looks like a bomb went off in it.

Speaking of which, it is time for me to get started, so here is a picture I took at the local Bi Lo:


The nurse at Dr. Patel's reminded my that in the South, everything is slower..
Either the aisle hasn't yet been converted to Kool Aid or the sign has not been finished.
I have to post this now, so I apologize if my GUM is substandard.


No comments:

Post a Comment