Friday, August 6, 2010

I return to work

Friday, August 6, 2010

I went back to work yesterday. I didn't go back to work work, I went back to take part in a celebration.

My job was to teach computer classes in the senior center at the Mayerson Jewish Community Center and to coordinate a volunteer run telephone assurance program.

Both my programs are funded by a grant from the Mayerson Foundation. Once a year we would have a special luncheon to thank the Mayerson's for their generosity and to show what we had accomplished in the last year. Click on the picture below to see a Picasa web album from yesterday.

This was the first time I had been back since March 19, the day I went into the emergency room. It was also the first time many of these people have seen me since I got sick.

The senior adults and fellow staff members swarmed me, giving me hugs and kisses and tears of joy to see me again.

I was reluctant to let go of the people I was hugging. Being physically close to them was an intense reminder of how much comfort they are to me. They have been lifting me up with their prayers, well wishes, cards and letters, whatever they had to offer since I left.

Once again, I'm left speechless by the generosity of the people in my life.

It was a physically and emotionally exhausting day. It was a pointed reminder of how far I have come (and how I got here) and there is still a ways to go.

When I got home I went right to bed and stayed there until 10 o'clock today.



No comments:

Post a Comment