Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Shaking my hips from side to side

Friday, December 17, 2010 01:58 PM

I don't remember the last time I learned to walk; after all, it was over 40 years ago. It is something I never thought I would forget, but after CIDP had it's way with my nerves and the ensuing muscle loss, here I am, a toddler at age 46. 

Moving a big body like mine upright, balanced on two small platforms requires plenty of strength and coordination. There is plenty of effort in each step.

The first step was waiting for the nerves to heal enough that they could activate the muscles, then I had to rebuild my strength.  Once I could start moving the muscles, the strength came back quickly.  

Not all the muslces are working properly yet. It is hard to keep my toes up while walking, which can trip me. I need to concentrate on flexing those muscles in my feet. And also pushing off with my foot in the graceful, heels off the floor first motion while bring my leg forward requires thought.

Next, my knees; I had to learn their rhythm for walking.   Sometimes the leg needs to be flexible, sometimes it needs to be rigid.  The knee  controls that.  I have to concentrate on which leg is straight and which leg is bent and make sure the knees are doing their part.  

The latest area has been my hips and pelvis.  My impulse is too move my hips up and down or side to side while throwing my legs in front of me.  For smooth walking, that area needs to be held level.  This give me better balance and helps support my upper body.

Typically, I can't keep up that level of concentration without something to lean on.  Otherwise I would fall forward on my moon face.

Put it all together and this is what goes on in my head for every step:  
  1. I start from an upright position, both feet flat on the floor.
  2. I bend at the knee of the one leg, lifting that foot, the heel to toe off the ground and swing that leg forward. I place that foot on the floor in front of me, planting it from heal to toe.
  3. I push off from the trailing foot, raising it from the heal first. This pushing off allows my body to swing over the pivot point created in step two. Going up on my toes is very difficult for me to accomplish, my feet don't want to bend that way.
  4. Keeping the second knee straight, I bend the knee of the first leg, planting that foot in front of me, heel first again.
  5. Through out this process, I need to concentrate on keeping my hips level and my body in an upright position. Right now, my tendency is to lean my torso forward, adding to the precariousness of the process.

What do you think about while walking?



    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 09:41 PM

    1 comment:

    1. In October I was walking with friends while on break at work. I lost my balance and was trying to keep from falling. It somehow turned into me running. I remember that I couldnt see anything. I just felt myself running and trying to stop. Next thing I knew I tripped over a curb, and my friends tell me, I became airborne! I literally flew up in the air and fell, hard, flat on my face! I couldnt move. My glasses went flying. Blood was everywhere! Soon fire engines and an ambulance came. I had 2 black eyes, a split swollen and very blood lip, a huge swollen and bloody nose, scratches all over my face and broken ribs!!!!! The pain was excruciating for weeks and weeks. I am now just finally feeling better. So when I walk I pay attention to where I am going and focus on every step.

      ReplyDelete