Sunday, October 31, 2010

Return

Sunday, October 31, 2010, 9:04 am

 Adrienne and I decided to make a trip to Norwalk, my hometown.  We considered this  to be a "dry run" for our upcoming trip to New Orleans in November.  This was my first overnight trip since I got sick.  In fact, the last trip I took was to Norwalk, in March 2010, was right before my first hospitalization, and before I was labeled a fall risk. 

 Adrienne and I drove up to Norwalk, usually a 4 plus hour drive, on Friday afternoon.  Due the the vagaries of  Columbus traffic,  the trip took over seven hours. My hips were sore, but other than that, I was fine.  I think Adrienne, who had to do 100% of the driving, felt worse than I did.

I spent the first 18 years of my life in Norwalk and now, when I came back to it, it has become a mythological place.  Usually, I roam the the familiar landscapes, searching for something.  Driving around the streets with Adrienne, I realized that I don't know what I am looking for; is it something that I lost, or is it something that I never had, but hope to find?  

Anyway, despite the weirdness of being in Norwalk again, the visit was a success.  I survived the car trip, staying in a motel and had a great time with my family!

We visited Mom in her room at the nursing home where she has lived since Dad died in 2007.  She was in a happy mood, but not very talkative.  She looked good and had a big smile on her face.  We joked around and she laughed with us.  

Next we went to Jim and Joanne's. I was feeling pretty tired and ended up taking a nap on their couch.     I am still easily fatigued.  It was embarrassing to have this happen in front of my family.  When I woke up, I was treated to a visit  with Jennifer and Jessica, their daughters, and Jennifer's children, Clark, age 2 and Gwen, 3 months.  

Then we went to visit my sister Roni and her husband, Dick.  Due to complications from knee replacement surgery, Roni has spent the last two years in great discomfort.  She is just now beginning to move freely outside the house.  It was very exciting to see her walking pain free and without a walker.

We returned Saturday evening, tired, but elated from being with the family.  Getting to met my grand niece Gwen and seeing how far Roni has come were also causes for celebration.

1:41 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment